One month ago I gave you a sneak peek of what was going to be happening at our house in the near future with the installation of new floors on most of the main level (everything except for the three spare bedrooms…the guest room, my craft room and my office…and the tiled bathrooms and laundry room).
Although I didn’t mind the color of the walls throughout our house, they could definitely use a refresh as there were many patched holes left behind by the previous owners and it had been five years of wear and tear. So we decided to take the opportunity of painting all the walls prior to the installation of the new floors. We could paint without worrying about dripping paint on the floor. We chose a “greige,” a beige with a grey tone instead of the gold tone beige that was on the walls prior.
While we were painting and moving furniture around, we ended up taking down all the decor on the walls and throughout the house, including all the window curtains and piled them up in the craft room and guest room since we knew the floor demo was going to be a dusty mess.
To save some money, Carl, Zack and I took care of removing the old carpet. Carl did lots of prep work by removing the carpet tacking around the perimeters of the rooms ahead of time. Then the night before the hardwood demo, we all pitched in to cut up and remove the carpeting and padding.
We also moved all the furniture off of the hardwoods.
We emptied out closets and moved all the junk into the master bedroom.
On Wednesday morning, the floor guys came and did more prep work.
They also removed all the quarter round around the baseboards.
Then it was finally time for the demo to begin!
When they were all done, the floors were a blank slate.
The new floors will be installed next week. Just a few more days of household chaos and then I can get things all back to normal again. I can’t wait!